Sunday, July 23, 2006

conviction

When I took the Great Expectations workshop at the beginning of June, I felt like I was in church, listening to the preaching of the Holy Word... and that I was being convicted of things I wasn't doing right as a teacher.. or things I could do better, etc. It didn't mean that I couldn't fix the mistakes I had made in the past... I am only human, after all, and we do make mistakes...but at least I could recognize in myself what I had done wrong. I could have felt mad that they pointed out my wrongdoings... pouted, yelled, screamed about it. But I chose to feel the conviction and change my ways.
It's the same thing with how you treat people. Sometimes it gets pointed out that you're not being the very best friend/coworker/boss/spouse/daughter/son/mom/dad/grandparent/sibling/family member you can be. It hits you where you live... it convicts you of your wrongdoing. And it's not that it isn't true, but sometimes the truth hurts. But it's your turn to decide...what are you going to do now that the truth is in the light? Are you going to be mad that it was pointed out.... or are you going to change it?

1 comment:

Kent said...

Excellent points. Nicely put.