Saturday, July 29, 2006

hmmm

So... I know I don't live in Ada, but I do like to keep up with the goings-on there... I'll never consider myself a Lawtonite or Lawtonian or Lawtonloser or whatever they call themselves because I really don't like this place. Ada will always be home. ANYWHO... I heard yesterday about some shenanigans that took place at Wintersmith park with some old foagies soliciting sex from an undercover officer. One of them happened to be a professor I had for 3 different classes in my college experience, and I admired him greatly. So after I heard about the news, naturally I went to adaeveningnews dot com to check out the story... It bothered me to see that the "public relations" person at ECU said that the matter was going to be dealt with appropriately because they expect their professors to act professionally at all times and in all settings. Okay, so if you become an ECU professor, ECU buys all rights to your soul. Nice.

I don't think what the old dudes did was right at all... but it's their personal lives that are being ruined here...their names were in the paper, I'm sure they were on the news, everything about their demons has been exposed for the world to see. But does it REALLY have anything to do with their careers? Just because someone commits a sin or makes a mistake, do you strip them of everything they have? What is this, The Scarlet Letter? We should just take them to where that Juliana Hotel thing used to be and tar and feather 'em in front of the entire town! That'll show 'em! Does Dr. so-and-so's ability to teach "Strategies for Effective Teaching" lessen because he made a bad choice? I think-eth not-eth. The world would be a much better place if people would examine themselves as closely as they examine the wrongdoings of others.

I'm on your side, dr. So-n-so. I'd still take classes from you.

2 comments:

Kent said...

I know of the teacher you speak of. I took those very same classes you took. I admired him as a teacher and had many conversations with him... even about personal stuff. I know it may be bad for P.R stuff for the school, but it shouldn't make a difference in his job. Now, if he did something... a lot worse... I could see his career being effected. I still respect him as a teacher though.

Amy, queen of the world. said...

Absolutely, I still respect him too. It really bothers me to think he might lose his job over something so absurd.