Saturday, July 28, 2007

judging.

I've been thinking a lot on this subject lately... I guess mostly because of the misused quote from the bible that doesn't tell the whole story. Read this. I took it off a website.

Matt. 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

"This is the verse so many use to try to shame Christians for discerning poor behavior, ethics, morals, and values: the "judge not lest ye be judged" verse. Using only Matt 7:1 is entirely incomplete. This verse is not speaking to not judging at all -- it is speaking to not judging unfair or any other cheap and selfish way.

Read the rest of the story ...Matt 7:2-5 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged [if we judge with an evil heart or dark intent, His judgment of us will reflect it; if we judge nobly and honestly, His judgment of us will reflect that, too], and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you [if we use extremes or exaggerations or other unfair means, our judgment will reflect it]. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye [point out his sins, "minor" in Jesus' example here] and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye [our own sins, even and especially those we will not admit, magnified by our selective blindness]? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' [tell him of his "minor" sins] when all the time there is a plank in your own eye [that there are greater or the same sins in our own lives which we do nothing about or think we are above]? You hypocrite* [pointing out the sins of others while by pretense we think of ourselves as above sin], first take the plank out of your own eye [sincerely ask the Lord for forgiveness and learn and live the Truth and Light by His Word], and then you will see clearly [be in a righteous position] to remove the speck from your brother's eye [to judge and to help him out of his bondage to sin]." At Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan, Jesus was talking to the multitudes gathered there after hearing of His message and of His healings to beseech them to not become like the pharisees and hypocrites who think they are above sin.

....... I've been reading a lot about Shaken Baby Syndrome. It's so sad and so scary. Specifically a baby named Kaleb who was shaken by someone (the accused is his daycare provider). And I think, how can anybody do this to a child? And then I remember how frustrated they must be that the child won't stop crying (not all of them, but some.) And I think that if they only knew how shaking a baby could harm or kill them, they wouldn't do it, because nobody's goal is to kill a baby. And I think if people would stop giving a crap about Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie and spread public service messages about such things that maybe it wouldn't happen as much... but then I feel like I'm judging the media and the media's focus..... ugh. Never ending cycle.

But then I read this....

Look at John 7:24. There, Jesus tells us to judge, but to do so righteously. Righteously means to use the Truth of the Word to discern sins and not by appearances only. In 1Cor. 6:2-3 Jesus authorizes us to judge. Judge we must else we could not discern good from bad, proper from improper, righteousness from evil. But judge behavior, not the individual; the deed not the doer; the choice not the chooser.

Now THAT is something people should live by. Yes indeedy.

In other news, I am 36 weeks pregnant. Yep. 9 months. I actually feel really good... that pain I had at 32ish weeks stopped, so it must have been ligament pains all along, just like my mom said (and you guys didn't believe her!!!...oh wait, that was me.) My emotions go wild on me and I'm having a hard time sleeping (mostly because of the pressure someone's putting on my bladder... I won't mention any names *PEANUT*)....but all in all, I feel good. The scale at the doctor's office is a crack head... I fluctuate between having gained 1 pound this entire pregnancy to 6 pounds. Whateva.

The baby's room is almost complete. We've ordered a bookshelf, and I have to finish his laundry... then we have to vacuum his carpet and we saw an adorable rug at Home Depot (I think) that had cars and street signs and all this cute stuff on it, and I might get one. Then hopefully we find a changing table between here and there... then it's done. Whoa. He's gonna be here soon. SCARY!

2 comments:

Nessa said...

You'll get used to it. Once you've broken him in and figure out which grunt means what, you'll be all good.
I recently found out I'm growing another jelly bean of my own. I'm NOT looking forward to the fat or the back problems that loom in the see-able future.

Kent said...

Thank you for posting that. I hate it when people, even "christians", use the "don't judge me" thing. People, take a look at the whole story, not just one line from it... in fact, they are judging the intent of the message from one line.