Monday, September 27, 2010

And now, goodnight....

I'm toying with the idea of not blogging anymore. I've blogged for many, many years. It all started on blurty in 2002. My sister and her friends had blurty accounts, and I somehow got talked into the blogging world. Then I switched to livejournal. Then xanga. And now here. I've always enjoyed getting my thoughts out via a blog, but it has never been a way for me to completely express myself. I try not to, but I somehow always manage to write like someone's going to read it instead of just writing what's in my head the way I'm thinking it.

The road I walk now is very different than the road I started out on when this blog was born... and worlds away from the path I was taking back in the blurty/livejournal/xanga days. I'm older. I'm wiser. Mostly just older, but whatev. I don't have time to update all the time, and even though I do not (and never will) get money from my blog, I still somehow feel obligated to update it every once in a while. When something becomes an obligation and not a "want to," that's not good, right?

Bottom line? I love my life. I do. I love my children. And I want people to enjoy reading about my life and children if I choose to write about them... but I hate the feeling of writing FOR whoever's out there and craving their response to what I write... and what's more, being disappointed when people DON'T respond.

So... should I stop blogging? Should I just turn off comments? What are YOUR thoughts on the matter? (And this is NOT a plea for attention... I'm 30 years old.. pleas for attention are SO back-when-I-was-21. heh)

9 comments:

Ashley said...

No no no no NO! I barely ever blog but I love reading blogs. I'm not always the best at commenting, but I promise to comment on EVERY. SINGLE. POST. if you continue to keep blogging :)

Jenny said...

I hope you dont stop blogging! I love reading your blog and always look forward to little updates when you have time to write them! Your posts always make me smile because of the way your write...I can see your sense of humor/sarcasim in them and I love it! You are one of the few I wish I knew in person!
But I know what you mean when you feel you have to write a certain way or all the time for who ever is reading. I try to just remember that when I write its mostly just for me and who ever wants to read it can :) The only thing I do different when I write is I clean my language up a bit, lol, I tend to swear a lot when I talk...its been my new years resolution for years to stop using bad language...never seems to pan out though..ha ha..
Keep blogging (no pressure though, well maybe just a little)

Madi said...

I would like you to keep blogging. Yours is one of my favorites! If you do decided to stop can you find me on facebook? I would still like to be able to see pictures of your handsome boys! :)

Madi said...

Oh, yeah, I guess my name would be helpful. Madi Ridley Love

Erin said...

oh Amy please don't leave this crazy world of blogging! I love reading your blog. I completely GET where you are coming from, this weird mix of blogging for yourself vs. getting a response from readers. I thrive off of comments & wonder sometimes why I don't get any on certain posts. You just have to do what's best for yourself but I personally like to comment as much as possible & would hate not to read your funny stories, see the pictures, & hear your fun/sarcastic/great point of view expressed here freely! :)

Maire said...

Please don't! I'm not the best of commenters, I usually try to catch up, but I'm so ADD! You have a wonderful blog, I would miss it!

Randi Bond said...

I love reading your blog. I also know what you mean about writing for others to read, more so than for yourself. I have the same problem. I never know if certain friends or family are going to read my blog, so I am always hesitant as to what to write, or how to express myself. I do love your sarcasm in your entries, and I love the pictures!!!

Heather said...

I wrestle with the same question all the time. But what keeps me at it is that I like having friends and family get to know Atticus and Dillon in a way that they otherwise wouldn't know them. They hear (not so often now) about the funny stories, see pictures of them growing, and connect with their/our lives. And that's why I've always done it, and as long as that's still something I treasure I guess I'll keep blogging too. I'm sure there'll come a day when all my kiddies are grown up more, in school and what have you, and I'll retire the old keyboard, but for now I'll keep slogging away even though it does seem like work (which is reflected in how many times I update these days).

I hope you keep at it, but if it's not something you find any enjoyment or fulfillment out of then don't beat yourself up for letting it go.

Kevin and Cami said...

I love reading your updates. I hope you continue blogging, but I understand that you need to do what's best for you and your family. One of these days I will be able to blog again. I actually miss it. But at the same time it's been nice because I am not constantly thinking "This is so going in my blog". Love you, Amers.